The Hälg Group is the leading Swiss building technology service provider. The intranet is used for internal communication. For example, new employees and upcoming events are announced on this platform and internal document templates and guidelines stored. The goal of the UX pre-study was to make this important instrument still more intuitive and complete from the employees’ point of view.
The goals of the new intranet
- The logic and look are completely attuned to employees’ behavior so that the operation becomes more intuitive.
- Hurdles between employees and the intranet are eliminated so that successful and seamless interaction is possible.
- While the people responsible for communications can provide faster information, employees can access the information they are seeking faster.
- If the employee feels good, he will use the intranet regularly – and in particular – he will be happy to use it.
Determining needs and motivations
First, we conducted workshops with the individual business areas (Engineering, Building Automation, Plant Engineering, and Facility Management). Thus we recognized how the employees search, what the reasons for a particular action are, and what can be improved. These valuable insights were used for the development of the new design.
Forming sensible categories with card sorting: Grouping content
The existing information architecture was checked with open card sorting: The participants group cards consisting of the submenu elements and give the groups appropriate category names. This way, it becomes clear which cards belong together from their point of view (mental model). The card sorting also reveals
- what the individual employees’ expectations of the intranet are,
- how the employees understand the individual topics,
- which areas are hardly used,
- which topics are central for the employees.
From the results of the card sortings and the workshops, we developed a user concept and an initial visualization. The selection of the “Google design” was made; here the search is the focal point.
To measure the success of the redesign, the Hälg Group decided on a before-after survey with the Internet Satisfaction Questionnaire (ISQ). This survey revealed:
- The intranet is clearer and better structured, which means that work has become more efficient.
- Relevant content can be found more quickly and is easier to process further.
- The end user-centered view allows intuitive and easier operation.
- The page loads faster and data is downloaded faster.
- Overall, the new intranet supports internal communication and information.
Wireframes, workshops with employees (= users), card sorting, online survey
To read more about our movento Usability Lab, click here: